Join with us on a tour of Stuart’s route north as he left Adelaide on 25th October 1861 – exactly 150 years ago to the day.
We will depart at 10.00 am October 25th 2011, from the Central Bus Station, Franklin St, Adealide, and the Adealide Aquatic Centre (free parking), Jeffcot Rd, North Adealide at 10.15 am; and return there at approximately 3.30 pm.
The bus tour will include a visit to
- Carclew, the site of James Chambers house in Jeffcott St, North Adelaide
- the site of the Heart in Hand Hotel (where Stuart injured his hand)
- the Old Spot Hotel, Salisbury, where the party stayed the first night
- Kingsford, the home of Stephen King junior (and site of McLeods Daughters TV show)
- Gawler, where we will visit the church where a special service was held for the departing men.
Along the way we will have commentary about the relevant locations and we’ll enjoy the camaraderie of a shared interest.
We will have a luncheon in the Gawler Arms Hotel and arrive back in North Adelaide by mid afternoon.
Cost will be approximately $ 30 (depending upon numbers), plus lunch at $ 9.50, plus a guided tour of Gawler for $2.50.
RSVP to the Acting Honorary Secrtetary by 11th October through normal means, or email through this site before 28th September.